Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I WAS ONCE A JOURNALIST





I was once a reporter in a local daily in Cagayan de Oro covering the City Hall, Capitol, Business and Life and Leisure beats. Admittedly, it was quite an adventure despite the meager salary. Yes friends, working in a newspaper or in the media may sound “glamorous” but the compensation is not enough to cover for your hospitalization just in case you meet an accident while covering a certain event. I was paid Php 5, 000/month and during that time, I was sending my sister to school. I don’t know how I did it, but I was able to support my sister despite the small amount I was receiving.

Although my day to day routine was a struggle, the experience working for Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro was something am very proud of. The company of the people I work with, most especially my editors and co-journalists was the reason why gathering and writing news feels noble. They were all reliable, ready to back me up when threats and/or intimidation chance on me.

You see, I had my share of libel cases. As a matter of fact, I got two although it was not served meaning, the libel cases were just bluffs to intimidate me so I could shut up and discontinue the” research” I was conducting for a sensitive story. 

In hindsight, it’s funny because I cannot remember anymore the exact article I was working on during that time. I guess I was trying to prove the graft and corruption case of a certain governor that resulted to the bankruptcy of the province. Again, am not really sure if it was that story, but no doubt, I was unwavering to uncover the truth. Blame it on my youth for being idealistic or blame me for wanting to expose the truth. Either way, I suppose I was doing my city/province a favor.

Let me end this entry by sharing some pointers to the aspiring journalists who want to work in the media particularly in print.

5. Don’t be scared to defend your story.
                I guess this was the legacy that my former editor-in-chief inculcated in me. Writing an article entails not only hard work but also conscience and integrity. A reporter’s story reflects who he is as a person.If a certain story was written to flatter and curry favor with someone (kissing somebody’s a*s), then the journalist writing it is tantamount to the sh*t excreted by that “somebody’s” bottom.

4. No story is worth a reporter’s life
                While it’s true that we have to defend our story, but please, don’t die for it and with it. No story is worth dying for. Learn to choose your battles and choose the battles you’re sure you’re going to win. As reporters, let’s keep our names in the byline and not in the headline most especially if the story is similar to what happened in Maguindanao. You know what I mean, ayt?

3. Always bring extra clothes
                Print is a demanding profession. Sometimes you cover stories outside your beat. I remember one time, I went to the office all dressed up since I was scheduled to cover Miss Cagayan de Oro. As the Life and Leisure reporter, it was part of my scope. The pageant was slated at 7pm. However, at around 6pm that day, a huge fire broke out and our police beat reporter who happens to be my close friend was absent.  Well, I guess you already know what happened next… I was at the fire scene, wearing my best beb and tackle (I was wearing a white, ¾ sleeve raglan shirt and light brown jeans) standing side-by-side with the firemen and fire victims, all sweaty, wet and dirty.

And yeah, I still covered Miss Cagayan de Oro later that night.

2. Always dress up
                I don’t want to admit this but most print reporters look as if dressing up is a taboo. Based on experience, I realized that sometimes, our sources judge and treat us based on how we present ourselves. Respect is practically owned based on how neat or smart looking we are.

                Now, don’t get me wrong. When I said dress up, I didn’t mean that you have to spend for the most expensive and up-to-date wardrobes.  Simply by looking neat and clean makes a huge difference –  it will make you look and act more professional and it upgrades your image in the eyes of others.

1. NO TO ENVELOPMENTAL JOURNALISM
               Whatever the case, situation or circumstance, always say NO.

No comments:

Post a Comment