Sunday, November 14, 2010

OF BATCHOY AND SIOPAO



These past few days, I have been craving for batchoy and siopao. Since Friday last week, I have been bugging my friends to accompany me to a “batchoyan” just for me to satisfy this hunger but to no avail. We always end up eating at the diner across the office, at Mabolo or the siomai-yan sa Tisa in Labangon.  Not that am complaining because although you don’t sometimes get what you crave for, but the company of people, or friends for that matter you share lunch or dinner with is sometimes the best part of the meal.

My friends and I bond over food. We talk about our lives and the lives of other people over food. We discuss about work, showbiz, politics, religion, tv shows, relationships – successful or not and a lot more over humba, or fried chicken, skinless longganisa, sinigang na baboy and CUPS of rice. I believe that eating tastes best when the people am eating with brings me to a homely place, where I can just be myself. An author of an article I read once said that precisely because of these ordinary but intimate associations, lunch or dinner can be sacred grounds that permit few offenses. That is why if we eat with friends, we don’t really care if he uses the toothpick without covering his mouth while doing his business, or that funny smile due to the squid cooked in inky broth. So what right?

Am writing this article to all my friends I had lunch and dinner with. Regardless if we ate in a fancy restaurant, in the pantry, in the office, the sidewalk, my apartment or your apartment, the best part of it is the fact that I shared that moment with you. Because of your company, lunch or dinner is not just a necessity but an intimate experience we share.

So, batchoy and siopao anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment