Tuesday, October 19, 2010

HANG IN THERE

As of this writing, my dad is being transferred to another hospital for a possible operation tomorrow. His attending doctor already recommended for a surgery ASAP. It pains me to think that it’s only my mom who’s there looking after my dad.  Day and night. 24/7. Worse, my mom has her own health complaints (my mom is suffering from irregular menstrual bleeding due to cervical polyps on her cervical canal). But she’s there, beside my dad. So patient. Always enduring.

My dad is 51 years old while my mom is 50 years old. Their relationship has been on the rocks for so many times already. They are not your perfect couple. Most of the time, they are a mess. They fight a lot. Screaming is their form of communication. I can still remember, I was 10 years old back then, when my mom tried burning my dad because she caught him with another woman. It was a circus. A cheap theater / play and our neighbors have the front row seats to witness it. But despite that, they are still together. When I was of age, I told them to split up. I would rather see them separated than see them destroy each other almost everyday. But NO. I guess they would rather deal with each other’s tension than go on separate ways.

Back when I was young, I frequently hear my mom shouting at my dad, “Mamatay na unta ka!” with that agitated voice and expression still so vivid in my mind. I guess, if it's not unlawful to break my dad's neck she would have obliged.

But now, in the hospital room where my mom watches over my dad fighting for his life, she holds his hand tightly while whispering, “Hang in there!” Despite her condition, she didn’t complain. My mom is so patient for dad. Always enduring for dad.

I find it funny. An oxymoron. But I guess, no matter how hard I'll try to understand the complexity of their relationship or any relationship for that matter, I will never fathom its mystery. My mom and dad...I would rather see them separated. But NO. They are still together. I guess it sums up to what my mom is telling dad now, to just hang in there.

Amping ka Ma!

1 comment:

  1. korekek gyud ka langga,,, karelater ko nmo. bsta always remember ang papa k papa gyud langga oi.. same here langga,, ako kapila nq pray na mwala na ako papa pra d na masuffer ako mama bt i realize ang papa k papa gyud oi... love you langga and u were always part of my prayers.. mweahhh... m just here waiting for your call f u need someone to talk.. love you.

    ReplyDelete